Saturday, November 8, 2008

New Blogging and slogging

Well, in an effort to continue to collect my thoughts and perhaps inspire my bookwriting efforts, I am reviving my blogbrain activity. There is just something about putting your thoughts and feelings out there in public that just attracts me. LOL.
This year has been a very interesing year to say the least. I have embraced my crone-dom, lost 100 pounds,( the weight of a 5th grader,) and gained a new grand-daughter, as well as watched my own last child reach adulthood. She voted in this election and of course, her candidate won.
I have been very busy reading reading reading everything I can get my hands on, because thats what I do. I read. I can hardly stand to watch TV, except the 70's show. Books are a whole different story. I consume on average 3 books a week and thats if I make myself slow down and savor them. I could read one a day. Most of the time, I have the three for the week all going at the same time. One in the bathroom, one in the bedroom and one in my easy chair. I have actually thought about starting a group called "Readers Annonymous" for reading addicts. Instead, I decided to join a group called Good Reads to be able to share my insights and gain insights of others of the books I adore and obsess about for days after I have finished it. I am new there and dont have many friends OR books listed but I have read so many it would take too long to list them all and I dont have that kind of time, for I MUST READ.
I want to join in on the monthly reads but fear that I will be too distracted by what Im currently devouring. I have always shunned required reading for the reason that, in my opinion they are only required because if not, no one would read them. Just kidding. Sort of. Many classics are obtuse and hard for me to read and if I have to concentrate too hard, well, sorry author, I know you worked really hard on that, but I can't see struggling to read something too obtuse for my limited intellect.
Saying that, I have recently discovered Cormac McCarthy. Now this talented fellow has truly a way with words, and he loves to write about dark and creepy subject matter, which i love, but lots of people do not. So see? There is a ying and a yang to this whole reading and writing deal.

Well, I have blathered on enough for one entry..Hopefully someone out there will find this mildly entertaining. I have certainly been entertained writing it.

See you in the funny papers.........

5 comments:

Edumentor said...

Loved reading your blog! Wow...how did you lose 100 lbs??? (I know, no eating, right?) That's amazing. I'm glad you found GoodREads and the chicklets.
-teri

dragyonfly said...

Hey thanks for stopping by...I lost it over 17 months after having a lapband installed. My hubby fondly calls it my carburetor. Glad you came by and gave me some idea that people actually read these things..do you have a blog?

Cindy said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog entry! I can relate totally about reading the book of the month. I became active on goodreads not too long ago, but have yet to participate in one of the monthly reads. I may have to participate in December's book, The History of Love, as it is one I've been wanting to read anyway. I guess it seems a little like homework to me, not sure if that's the best way to put it or not.
Congratulations on the weight loss; what an accomplishment!
Look forward to reading more of your posts!

Hannah Banana said...

Congrats on losing 100 lbs! Wow! I have not read Cormac McCarthy's works but my dad gushes over his stories. I have him on my "to-read" list & plan to read "The Road" very soon.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you decided to join in this chicklet blogging thing. Teri really started a good thing among us. Looking forward to more from you!