Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gurning: What a weird sport.

Those UK folks are kinda different, aren't they? I mean, blood pudding??? EW!!!!
And frickin' haggis, what the hell is that about? I can hear it now..."Hey guys, I have a good idear, here's a big leftover sheep stomach...c'mon, let's stuff it with barley and boil it..." Gag me.

Then there is the sport of gurning. According to Wikipedia.....

"Gurning contests are a rural English tradition and were once common at travelling sideshows, fairs and freak shows. They are still held regularly in some villages and the contestants traditionally frame their faces through a horse collar - known as 'gurnin' through a braffin'. The World Gurning Championship is held annually in Egremont, Cumbria as one part of the Egremont Crab Fair. Those with the greatest gurn capabilities are often those with no teeth as this provides greater room to move the jaw further up. In some cases the elderly or otherwise toothless can be capable of spectacular gurns covering the entire nose."

CRAB FAIR?
GURNIN' THRU A BRAFFIN'"


ALRIGHTY THEN!!


Now for your viewing pleasure..And in no certain order....
(Ellen, this one's for you)

The first one...I couldnt resist putting on here, is a camel...I guess you might have guessed that, but might have thought the guy who is "gurnin thru a braffin" might be a camel too...He is this year's champ, by the way..
I personally don't think he is gurning, he is just butt ugly. Or as my hubby sez..."fugly".







No comments: