Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reporting on My First Creative Writing class


Well, I must say that I was a little scared and nervous when I got there, but soon became very comfortable in my new circle of friends. I like the way she established rules of confideniality right away, saying that all of our work was fresh and new and vunerable and not open to critisism. Only positive stroking allowed. That put me at ease at once. We started off with a meditative exercise and opened up our creative channels. As the creative juices flowed, I became aware of just how open I was allowed to be, listening to others read their innermost thoughts. It was like being present in the very private chambers of other peoples mind.

Ok..so I liked it alot. I learned about sonnets and iambic pentameter.

My favorite topic thrown out there was: I am from...

Here is what I wrote...
I am from my past, emerged from chaos and disorder, into the here and now, into chaos and disorder. Damaged? Sure, but intact and whole. I am from fire, air, water, earth and spirit, and I have a center, a warm, beating, pulsating live thing that keeps me here. I am from seasons, from the summer of my youth, thru the spring of my step into motherhood and the fall into the winter of my crone-dom. I am from my ancestors, who watch me from the thin veil of life and death that separates us from them and the DNA that joins us, the stuff of life.

That's it. We had 5 minutes to write it. It just sort of rolled out of me after I got started.

There were several more opportunities to write and we were there for 3 hours so needless to say we got alot done.

Alll in all, it was excellent.

10 comments:

Hannah Banana said...

I love that, great job! I will have to attempt that one too. I'm glad you like your class so far. Perhaps it might be a good outlet for you & any stress or worries you might be bearing. It sounds like a lot of fun.

GardeningJo said...

That sounds awesome and I'm jealous! I'm so glad it went well for you.

dragyonfly said...

Thanks guys!! I cant wait till next week...

teri said...

Good work!! Now I can copy what you are doing!! LOL. Keep it up. I'm taking a drawing class. Anyone want to learn how to draw doll faces? (I didn't think so)

Dabee said...

Splish splash I came here to blog along about a Saturday Night...Rubba adubb...How was I to know there was a party going on----Dabee

Lizzi said...

I love your first project! I hope you have a great time doing this class - what a wonderful outlet.

dragyonfly said...

Dabee.... you are cracking me up...put some blogs up so I can comment them....LOL...That helmet is funny.

trosekay said...

WOW, I love what you wrote! I wish that I could do that, so poetic and powerful.

Cindy said...

Love, love, love your writing! Awesome job and I'll have to try it; though yours pretty much sums up how I feel too!

DaBee said...

Hay Dragonfly---You can call it (that thing I sometimes have to wear on my head for safety, and sometimes I found out why I wear it) what you like, but, that there is what they call a hard hat not a helmet. Though, some refer to it as a bucket. I only wear it when I'm showing off.