Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Some things I am truly afraid of


This one is fairly easy..one thing comes to mind that I get a total body reaction to and that is arachnids. AkA spiders. Consider the spider. It is as close to an alien on earth as we will ever see. Eight legs,not six like a normal insectoid. This creature has 5 or more eyes placed randomly around its "head". A large bulbous abdomen and all that freaking hair sprouting out from the whole thing. They can be fast or slow, spin around and face you before LEAPING at you. Then there is the fang things. Hideous. And all that is just the OUTSIDE. Inside the spider, a creepy factoid is that its stomach is somehow between its brain. It sucks up the poor victims juices and it goes past its brain, into a weird spider stomach. I think they poop from their mouths, too. Its just too much for me to wrap my mind around, yet I am literally fascinated with them. Its like a bad car wreck, you don't want to look, but you do it anyway. I will look them up, especially the huge ones, those Arkansas tarantulas, and the camel spiders of Iraq...I love getting the hooblie wooblies. Or you may know them as the heebie jeebies. I get all icked out and have to quit looking. But then I will go back and look again and again, what's up with that??

Clowns are another creepy thing. I think I used to like them, but as I grew older, their creep-a-zoid factor became very apparent to me. O.K, let's review. Grown men painting their faces in various grimaces and wearing big baggy pants, in order to hang out with little kids. That grease paint can't hide what is evil in their minds. Well, at least that's what the adult "me" says. The little kid "me" says, chill out, it's ok, he loves little kids. I wonder which one of me is right?

Another thing I am terrified of, is public speaking. I had no idea I had stage fright until I took a communications class in college. I have always been the class clown and funny guy in groups of people I know or am comfortable with. But make me stand up and try to be serious and focused and I start to feel like Im about to throw up. Or bolt and run. I was shocked and surprized to learn this about myself.

Lastly, I am afraid of deep water. I am a very insecure swimmer and was thrown in a pool before I could swim, and that affected me in a way that will probably stay with me forever.

So, spiders, public speaking and deep water are my terrors. What are yours?

6 comments:

green-bean said...

I am afraid of being lonely.
I am afraid of falling (in any situation from tripping to falling from a cliff).
I am afraid of crashing.

Holli said...

Bats...terrified of them. And I mean TERRIFIED. I had one fly over my head once and get caught up in my head when I freaked out as it flew over. Nothing can get you over that experience.

Lakes are freaky. I don't like to swim in something if I can't see to the bottom of it. I'll do it...I just don't like it.

Holli said...

That was supposed to say caught up in my hair...sorry!

shelby said...

I have a couple of weird fears. My worst one is chickens, well any bird but chickens esp. I hate those buggers. Next would be ticks. They completely freak me out

Lizzi said...

I hate deep water too. When I was younger, at my grandparent's lake, every once in a while I'd swim out into the cove trying to overcome my fear. But then I'd get that physical reaction, that twitching of the legs, that uncontrollable urge to get back to shore as quick as possible. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be able to handle deep water if I could see the bottom, but of course, I don't want to find out that much!

And Holli, I had the same thing happen to me with bats! Ewwwwwwwwwww is what I still think about it!

DaBee said...

I'm with ya on that clown thing being, no, actually, very creepy but not on those spiders deary---those beautiful yellow and black banana spiders I that we found while living in Kentucky, or grand daddy long legged spiders, I love them all, even though, I just found out they can bite ya, if they can get past their long spider legs. I guess I'm in love with their spider webs and how fast their webbies can appear on our porch. I will actually feed the web with a fly or skeeter if I can half a chance---CREEP ON GIRL my kids are a scared of spiders to! If they just see one, they'll run and scream like a criminal broke in the house or something. I ain't a scared of too much anymore except being alone or sick or both. Love you spider baby you are a very talented writer who can hold my attention!!!