Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Writing Prompt....Is life getting better or worse as you get older?


This little writing prompt caught my eye and I went past it, then came back to it, then went past it again.

So here I am back with it. I must be wanting to address it, huh? LOL.


I don't know about it being "better or worse", but it is decidedly more intense.


I attribute part of that to my wildly flutuating hormones, and partly to the people who add drama to my life.

I sometimes wish to be left alone and frequently daydream about leaving with no forwarding address, but then, I realize how utterly lost I would be. I would surely find someone else to worry about, some stranger. Because that is how I am. (Plus I would miss these misfits of mine. ) Because the other part of the equation is that I am a person who gives a damn. I can't turn it off, get over it, fageddaboutit, move on, put it on the back burner or blow it off.

As my darling husband so sweetly pointed out the other day, I'm like a bulldog when I get on to something. I don't think it was intended as a "dis". He was just being honest and I know it, too. I am also a "fixer". So combine "fixer" with "bulldog" and add in the variable of "equally stubborn children" and you get a volitile compound. (Ok, I know you didn't sign up for a chemistry lesson, I just thought was kinda cute.)


As I get older, I have noticed I am more critical and I don't like that. I have become cynical and jaded and I have a new tendency to gossip. I find I don't have time to volunteer. My world revolves around, well, my world.

As I get older, I insist on time for myself and my writing and exercise (even tho I can still BS myself out of it) . My weight loss has given me new energy and endurance, yet I have less tolerance of other people's shortcomings.

As I get older, my skin is dryer, my hair is getting grayer, my eyes are getting foggy, my memory is getting crappy and If something doesn't hurt when I wake up, I make sure and check my pulse.

As I get older, world events piss me off more and I get even more confused about politics. I never really understood all of that but now it's so complicated I don't even try.

As I get older, I realize the importance of a lifetime of learning and growing in all directions.

As I get older learning and growing are very difficult.

As I get older I feel my time clock ticking and a vague sense of urgency.

But Im glad to be older, glad that I am here and healthy, and to have a family. That is alot more than alot of people have.

As i get older, I realize that is all that really matters.

4 comments:

Thauna said...

All I can say is DITTO! Oh boy, can I relate to all you've said. I've been called tenacious (same as bulldog, I think). I've lost my patience for people who don't step up and be right by people..at least in my opinion of what being right by someone means (thinking of someone very specific here). Hmm, you've set me pondering now. :o)

Anonymous said...

oooooh!did you write that ...or did i write that?

lea goldberg said...

that was me-not anonymous!

dragyonfly said...

Thanks ladies...did you like the sign? I saw that and I just had to have it.